[WikiEN-l] Tim Noah addresses the notion of notability in another Slate article

Sheldon Rampton sheldon at prwatch.org
Wed Feb 28 15:36:23 UTC 2007

There are a couple of things that I think can be be done to address
in a positive way the concerns raised in Tim Noah's articles:

(1) Develop better, more comprehensive notability standards for more
topics.

(2) Improve the section of WP:N titled "Rationale for requiring a
level of notability."

==1. Develop better, more comprehensive notability standards for
different topics.==

With regard to journalists in particular, I think Wikipedia should
have a fairly inclusive standard. Tim Noah uses Wikipedia's
notability standard for porn stars to mock the concept of notability
standards at all. (He seems not to realize that the reason for a porn
star standard is precisely to *limit* the number of porn stars who
will be included.) Even so, however, Wikipedia's porn star standard
in practice has permitted quite a few entries. For example, it allows
an article about [[Dolores Del Monte]], whose sole criterion for
notabilty is that she was Playboy's 1954 Playmate of the Month (a
distinction so minor that she herself was unaware of until 1979,
because the photographer sold her pictures to Hefner without her
knowledge).

If simply having your picture appear in Playboy is sufficient
notability to merit an article, I think the standard for journalists
should allow inclusion of anyone who writes or reports regularly for
a notable publication. At present, however, the draft notability
policy for journalists says that they must be either a "SENIOR staff
writer" or the writer of a "nationally syndicated column." If a
publication itself is notable enough to include, its employment of a
writer (senior or not) on a regular basis constitutes sufficient
"note" having been made of the writer for him/her to be considered
noteworthy.

==2. Improve the section of WP:N titled "Rationale for requiring a
level of notability." ==

In Tim Noah's second article, he characterized the thrust of his
criticism as follows:

> [G]iven the seeming infinity of cyberspace and volunteer expertise
> available to Wikipedia—the only plausible reason Wikipedia's
> gatekeepers would exclude anyone or anything as insufficiently
> notable for an encyclopedia entry would have to be the secret
> thrill of exclusion itself

This argument is patently false, and Noah himself might have realized
this if the notability policy clearly explained the reasons why it
exists. Some of those reasons have been discussed just now on this
listserv. The most important, I think, are that (a) Wikipedia strives
to be accurate, and is difficult if not impossible to fact-check
articles on topics that are not sufficiently notable to have been
written about elsewhere, and (b) Wikipedia's popularity creates a
temptation for people to use it for self-promotional purposes by
creating articles about their small businesses, personal blogs,
garage bands, crank scientific theories, etc. The notability policy
provides a criterion for separating this self-promotional material
from information that has been deemed sufficiently interesting to
have been noted by someone other than the topic's own creator.

If these explanations for WHY the policy exists were stated more
explicitly in the notability policy itself, it might make it harder
for someone like Noah to imagine that the "secret thrill or
exclusion" (or some other fantasized motive) is "the only plausible
reason" for the policy to exist. However, the "Rationale for
requiring a level of notability" section currently doesn't do a very
good job of explaining why the policy exists. It contains the
following three points:

> 1.  In order to have a verifiable article, a topic should be
> notable enough that the information about it will have been
> researched, checked, and evaluated through publication in
> independent reliable sources.
>
> 2. In order to have a neutral article, a topic should be notable
> enough that the information about it will be from unbiased and
> unaffiliated sources; and that those interested in the article will
> not be exclusively partisan or fanatic editors.
>
> 3. Wikipedia is not an indiscriminate directory of businesses,
> websites, persons, etc. Wikipedia is an encyclopedia

The language of points 1 and 2 ("a topic should be notable
enough ...") sounds more like a simple re-statement of the policy
than an explanation of its purpose. The explanation of "why" is
embedded in these points if you read carefully, but it is easy to
misread them as mere normative assertions rather than explanations.

Likewise, point #3 states that Wikipedia is not an indiscrimate
directory, but it doesn't explain WHY it would be bad for Wikipedia
to be an indiscriminate directory. Again, this point sounds more like
a mere description of Wikipedia policy than a rationale for why it
should be so.

I've taken a stab at rewriting this section, including changing its
subhead from "Rationale for requiring a level of notability" to "Why
Wikipedia has a notability policy." If you want to see my changes,
you can find them at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?
title=Wikipedia:Notability&oldid=111589127

(I wasn't sure my change would meet the consensus test, so I made the
change and then rolled it back, pending comments and approval from
others.)