[WikiEN-l] Tim Noah addresses the notion of notability in another Slate article

Matthew Brown morven at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 06:29:44 UTC 2007

On 2/27/07, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/27/07, Keith Old <keithold at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > *Not my intent, but also not my concern. I continue to believe that
> > Wikipedia should stop putting on airs about legitimacy
>
> We do what?

I think that Tim Noah misunderstands what's going on there.  A lot of
our notability guidelines appear to have been created out of a fear of
not looking legitimate and acceptable - "How can we be accepted as a
serious encyclopedia when we have articles about <xxx>?"

Wikipedia would do well to be less paranoid about external perception.
 For one thing, our articles on less conventional topics are very
useful to our readers.

-Matt