[WikiEN-l] Scott McCloud on Wikipedia

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 28 04:44:15 UTC 2007

T P wrote:

> On 2/26/07, Michael Snow <wikipedia at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Please enlighten me - what does "No angry mastodons" have to do with
>> whether any field is significant enough to be covered in Wikipedia?
>> Either now or fifteen years from now?
>
> It means there's no hurry.

Funny, that's not at all the message I get from that essay. It looks to
me to be all about making sure you're not in a fit of "edit rage" or
otherwise lashing out at people. It's not a piece about eventualism.

To tie it back to the theme that started this, if we cover webcomics or
other forms of "cruft", whatever their merits otherwise the articles
probably aren't "trampling" anybody. And as several people have pointed
out, there are significant future benefits in recording information from
the present that will be the subject of later synthesis and study. So I
don't understand why we should hold off on documenting subjects of
interest now. While the field of interest may not be fully coherent, and
we should not declare it so prematurely, it's not wise to reject the
pieces needed for it to ultimately come together.

--Michael Snow