[WikiEN-l] Scott McCloud on Wikipedia

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 01:43:18 UTC 2007

Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> writes:

> on 2/27/07 3:51 PM, Gwern Branwen at gwern0 at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> If you want to force the community in a direction, then code is
   the
>> most effective way. It is not very polite or considerate, but
it certainly
>> works.
>
> Your entire post intimidated me ;-) and bullied me :-) into
reading more
> Lessig - thanks. The section I pulled out above intrigues the
hell out of
> me; I would love to know more.
>
> Marc Riddell

Well, I'm glad to hear that. And you certainly have no excuse not
to read the second edition <http://codev2.cc/>, given that it's
under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License!

To briefly expand on my comments: what the developers create is
the very fabric of Wikipedia. I am not even joking here: what they
write makes things possible and impossible to think on
wiki. Technical changes have definitely had their effects on the
wiki - the most crucial part of a wiki is technical, like anon
editing or wikimarkup - both subtly and overtly. We used to use a
lot of subpages; now subpages are practically an alien concept
except as applied in userspace and for archiving talk pages. (A
lot of people don't even bother to archive, though, or just
wikidelete their talk page every so often, or let a bot do all the
work). Why is this? I noticed the abandonment of subpages started
around the time a number of templates like {{main}} and
{{seealso}} were introduced. If this is true, then there didn't
even need to be official deprecation or restrictions to shift
editing habits in a significant way.

Again, 'code is law'. I hope the developers can keep this
perspective in mind when they try to understand why some people
get worked up about captchas for account creation, accounts for
page creation, restrictions on the newest 1% of accounts,
oversight and OFFICE, and so on.

--
Gwern
Inquiring minds want to know.