[WikiEN-l] Works cited in Wikipedia

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 00:17:26 UTC 2007

On 27/02/07, Stan Shebs <stanshebs at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Andrew Gray wrote:
> > ...well, works cited where the citation involves an ISBN, anyway.
> >
> > http://www.librarything.com/blog/2007/02/wikipedia-citatons-with-feed.php
> >
> > Quite an interesting idea to play with, there.
> >
> What a coincidence - I was just today pondering how it was that many of
> the books in my librarything collection seem not to be referenced by WP
> articles, even some of those to which I personally added the reference.
> Not necessarily vandalism though, one thing we learn quickly from
> librarything is just how many dozens of ISBNs can be associated with a
> particular work...
>
> An interesting future possibility is to provide a route for article
> checkers to get in touch with people who actually own the book being
> referenced.

An excellent idea! Which reminds me... there's a "union catalogue"
group for the German wikipedia with much the same goals. I've set one
up for enwp; where would be best to spread the word? A sizable number
of users could produce an interesting reference resource...

http://www.librarything.com/groups/englishwikipedia

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk