[WikiEN-l] Daniel Brandt

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Feb 24 20:28:28 UTC 2007

Delirium wrote:

>Rich Holton wrote:
>

>>However, it must have been pretty predictable that a speedy delete would
>>cause controversy, and accusations of abuse of admin powers. If we do
>>have such a practice of removing marginally notable characters at their
>>request, shouldn't we codify that somehow, so as to avoid (or at least
>>reduce) the controversy?
>>

>The problem is that we have nowhere near consensus for such a policy.  A
>large number of editors support it, and a large number of editors oppose
>it.  Different specific cases have gone different ways, mostly depending
>on who showed up to the debate that day.

That absence of consensus alone contraindicates any kind of speedy
action.  When who shows up in a "speedy" situation that hour (not just
that day) makes a difference there is just too much room for abuse.
What happens with Brandt or any other person that wants an article about
himself removed is only one little corner of the problem.  A truly
collaborative environment has no place for debates that depend on some
kind of win/lose paradigm.  Speedy deletes should never be a weapon for
winning a POV war.  Unless something is _immediately_ dangerous it can
afford the time for due process.  Immediate gratification is not important.

Ec