[WikiEN-l] Parker Peters

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Feb 24 18:01:36 UTC 2007

George Herbert wrote:

>On 2/23/07, John Lee wrote:
>

>>The moderators have agreed to ban this user from subscribing to the list.
>>Since he was not making any positive contributions through his membership,
>>it has been revoked.
>>

>This is sort of sad; gadflys and contrary opinions help strengthen
>projects, and on his good days, he was on the "probably making me
>think enough that it's positive overall" side of things.
>
>But I see why, from the bad days.
>
>We need a better class of gadfly.

This seems like a fair evaluation of the situation.  An effective gadfly
gets under a person's or a group's skin, and gives one the urge to
swat.  This cost the life of the world's most celebrated gadfly.  A
quality gadfly still needs to be an irritant, but also needs the agility
to avoid the swatting hand.

Courage cannot become foolhardiness, and agility cannot become
evasiveness.  That's a rare combination of qualities.  Parker's agility
is lacking, but it is unduly harsh to say that he was making no positive
contributions.  I am not so insecure in my views that I can tolerate no
criticism.

Ec