[WikiEN-l] Daniel Brandt

stvrtg stvrtg at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 00:12:16 UTC 2007

On 2/23/07, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:

> Rich Holton wrote:
> > However, it must have been pretty predictable that a speedy delete would
> > cause controversy, and accusations of abuse of admin powers. If we do
> > have such a practice of removing marginally notable characters at their
> > request, shouldn't we codify that somehow, so as to avoid (or at least
> > reduce) the controversy?
> >

> The problem is that we have nowhere near consensus for such a policy.  A
> large number of editors support it, and a large number of editors oppose
> it.  Different specific cases have gone different ways, mostly depending
> on who showed up to the debate that day.

That there is no system for listing names of certain BLP based deletes lends
to the sense that these are OFFICE actions. Even talk pages get removed and
we have to wonder WTF?  So theres this thin line between notablity and
sensitivity - stating a preference for the latter doesnt really offer people
a method by which they can be more attuned to peoples feelings and less
attuned to just encyclopise everything.

-Stevertigo