[WikiEN-l] Proposed: Topical archiving of talk

stvrtg stvrtg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 10:03:23 UTC 2007

On 2/21/07, Luna <lunasantin at gmail.com> wrote:

Your comments are quite helpful, Luna.

> As far as linking back and forth, I think all you'd need would be a
> template
> with two parameters: the section name and archive page to be linked to.
> Example:

{{X|Arbitrary section|Foo discussion}} -- links to [[Talk:Page/Foo
> discussion#Arbitrary section]]

It occurs to me that a bottleneck here is how sections are named. Im
thinking that we could use redundant numbered headers just as place links
within the ordered archive:

   == Header with a really long name ==
   === 5 ===
or
   = 5 =
   == Header with a really long name ==

That way things can be pointed to by number, I'm not skilled at template
syntax at all, so Ill leave that to someone else.

To link from talk ordered archive to topical archive:
  {{ta|5|Archive 4}}

It occurs to me that it might make more sense to have the archive name as
> the first parameter, and the section name as the second -- it's all the
> same
> to me, but if anybody cares and this template gets made, speak up quick.
> ;)

May be better to keep the hierarchy of template|archive|section :
   {{ta|Archive 4|5}}
   [[{{TALKSPACE}}:{{PAGENAME}}/{{{1}}}#{{{2}}}|{{{1}}}]].

and compact the archive, so that archiving is standardized
  {{ta|4|5}}
  [[{{TALKSPACE}}:{{PAGENAME}}/Archive {{{1}}}#{{{2}}}|{{{1}}}]].