[WikiEN-l] Now we're ready for prime time...

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Wed Feb 21 13:49:13 UTC 2007

Wikipedia isn't "Not Ready for Prime Time" any more... we were
recently mentioned in a U.S. prime time broadcast network television
program.  At the end of this past Sunday's episode of "American Dad",
which concerned exposing a historical conspiracy, a character asks
the rhetorical question of where he can publish his expose of the
"true facts" he has uncovered so that people will believe it in
absence of actual proof... then answers it by creating an article on
Wikipedia.  (This actually violates several policies, including No
Original Research and Verifiability / References.)

This may be the most prominent pop-cultural mention we've got so far;
previous TV mentions were mostly on late-night cable shows like The
Colbert Report, but this is on a major network (if you call Fox that)
in prime time (7 or 8 PM - 11 PM in the U.S.).  It's perhaps related
that the Wikipedia traffic ratings spiked up again in Alexa at that
time, with the rank at a new record of #8.

--
== Dan ==