[WikiEN-l] Requirements for Adminship

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 20 14:59:30 UTC 2007

Ray Saintonge wrote:
> Stan Shebs wrote:
>

>> Marc Riddell wrote:

>>> Is the same culture that began WP the same one in place today?
>>>

>> I just crossed my four-year anniversary, and while I can't speak to the
>> beginning, the culture hasn't really changed much in my time here.
>>

> I thought you were here longer than that.  I think the culture has
> changed.  The Seigenthaler incident was a big turning point in that.
> After that the rule bound control freaks seem to have become more
> dominant.  We had to respond to Seigenthaler, but in the process we
> ended up with a lot of unnecesarily restrictive procedures.

That's a good point. I guess I saw it as more of a course correction
than a cultural change; people were citing sources before, but if they
didn't, there was less of a willingness to challenge the unsourced
material. Certainly there are more process freaks today, but there are
more editors of all kinds - has the percentage of process freaks gone
up? I don't have any sense about that.

Another thing I wonder about is the extent to which the procedures have
actually changed the culture. Article life cycle seems pretty much the
same, editor interactions seem mostly the same, the mix of editor types
and personalities seems the same. Lots of content is being added with
nary an edit war or rouge admin dispute; I find myself missing good new
material all the time, because it goes unnoticed in the RC flood, while
DYK is just a small fraction of what's coming in.

Stan