[WikiEN-l] Rx Dosage Instructions in Wikipedia

George Chriss GChriss at psu.edu
Mon Feb 19 20:55:42 UTC 2007

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 21:52:47 +1100  English Wikipedia  wrote:

On 2/19/07, George Chriss <GChriss at psu.edu> wrote:
> Even with a general site disclaimer, the above information may be
non-encyclopedic.  Wikipedia is not a how-to guide, a doctor, a pharmacist, a
drug

I find it frustrating how often useful information is removed under
the single principle of &quot;Wikipedia is not a ...&quot;. Explaining how to
use a coffee plunger? &quot;Wikipedia is not a how-to...&quot; - yes, but what
surely an explanation is an essential part of the article. Links to
articles that demonstrate the concept of [[One deal a day]]?
&quot;Wikipedia is not a repository of links&quot;. Mentioning the local tourist
attractions and best restaurants of a small town? &quot;Wikipedia is not a
travel guide&quot; - yes, but that's probably the most useful thing you
could write about a small town.

Is it time we replaced WP:NOT with &quot;Wikipedia is not an encyclopaedia.
It's unique, and it's just trying to be useful to people, dammit.&quot;

Steve
Hi,

Wikibooks or Wikitravel would be good homes for the items mentioned above.  Part of Wikipedia's appeal, at least to me, is that good authors are very picky about choosing relevant information that best illustrates an abstract subject.  To borrow the example:  I know that a pancake comes from a Bisquick box, but what if I want to know what a pancake **really** is?

-George
en: [[User:GChriss]]