[WikiEN-l] Frustrated

Eugene van der Pijll eugene at vanderpijll.nl
Sun Feb 18 16:10:06 UTC 2007

Guy Chapman aka JzG schreef:
> I am very frustrated.
<snip>

> Sadly, although we managed to delete the list of tall men once, that
> was sent back to AfD and there is no consensus to delete it.

The problem here is that AfD is working as designed. In my opinion,
there is certainly room for a list of really tall men on wikipedia. It
should however be limited to those who are notable for being tall; which
would mean a lower limit of around 2.40 m, and a smaller list of
"legendary" tall men, whose names are almost synonymous with "giant",
such as Goliath.

In the current state, it's just a very bad article, as the inclusion
criteria are vague, and do not only depend on the ostensible subject of
the article: tallness. There are an awful lot of basketball players on
the list, for example, compared to e.g. volleyball players. But that is
a clean-up job, which means that the article shouldn't be deleted
according to the AfD rules.

It may be useful to take a look at our article [[Oldest people]]. I
think that's a good example of what a page like this should look like.

Eugene