[WikiEN-l] Fwd: I have a problem with CheckUser as administered by JPGordon

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Sun Feb 18 02:38:26 UTC 2007

On 17 Feb 2007 at 19:42, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Please do not send *8* messages in a row. If you must write so much,
> consider consolidating messages into, I don't know, something less than
> a power of 2?

Technically speaking, 1 is actually a power of 2 (2 to the zeroth)...

> Incredibly rude to other readers of wikien-l. I hope you get put on
> moderation for this; maybe then you will learn the difference between
> uses and abuses of email.

Yes... and quoting back all of the preceding messages in the set as
part of each subsequent one, and quoting back the whole stinkin' mess
when complaining about it, is also an abuse of email.

(My partial quoting below is for the purpose of specific commentary,
as follows:)

> "Samuel L Bronkowitz" <countpointercount at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I will consider my options carefully, but you have done nothing to prove to
> > me that Wikipedia is worth any contribution any more. You have likely lost
> > the contribution of a 3+ year veteran, and I will probably start going in
> > and removing articles I have previously contributed. You have no right to
> > them any more.

Actually, when you submit content under the GFDL, they do have the
right to use it, and continue to use it regardless of any changes of
heart you might have subsequent to your original submission.

> > I am requesting an answer, but having received none, and having now seen how
> > Wikipedia's administrators are more than content to let abuse of this sort
> > go on with no answer, I am 90% certain that I will be leaving Wikipedia. I
> > will not make things worse or vandalize articles, but I cannot say that the
> > thought of doing so did not cross my mind. As I travel quite extensively, it
> > would be very easy for me to acquire a new IP address every time that I go
> > somewhere and damage Wikipedia a little bit just for the fun of doing so,
> > since constructive editing and the right to defend myself against basely
> > false accusations are being denied me.

Threatening to vandalize Wikipedia is a great way to convince people
you're a good contributor who's being unjustly treated, isn't it?

> > Since I have apparently not had any of your time, I shall not thank you for
> > it in this missive any more.

As far as this list is concerned, the first anybody has apparently
heard of you is in your barrage of messages, culminating in your
threats to quit and/or withdraw your contributions and/or become a
vandal... all posted here before anybody has even had a chance to
react to your issues or concerns.

--
== Dan ==