[WikiEN-l] Requirements for Adminship

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 00:26:23 UTC 2007

On 2/16/07, Timwi <timwi at gmx.net> wrote:

> Keitei wrote:
> > Admins must:
> >       be neutral, above all else.
>
> This is already wrong. An admin who does not do any blocking, protecting
> or deleting, is by definition harmless, but they need not be neutral (in
> what they secretly believe would deserve deletion or protection). You
> would be denying adminship to such a person even though it would not
> cause any harm, therefore you are turning adminship into the "big deal"
> again that we are trying hard not to make it.

I think you've misread what was written. Here's a longer quote:

> Admins must:
>         be neutral, above all else.
>                 when they block
>                 when they protect
>                 when they delete

So what this means is that whenever an admin uses the tools, they must
use them in a neutral fashion. This is nothing new, and is merely the
first step in the logical chain from which Keitei derives her "things
we should look for in an admin".

> This is clearly wrong. What you are saying is that someone who cannot
> demonstrate that they would be a good admin before they're actually an
> admin, can't become admin. Catch-22!

You don't need the buttons to show that you can behave neutrally and
civilly, acknowledge your own biases etc. These are all qualities we
can look for in people's editing activities.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com