[WikiEN-l] Limited Sysop

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Fri Feb 16 20:26:23 UTC 2007

MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:
> Admins clearly need to be
> familiar with rules, but that doesn't mean they have to do all the possible
> admin tasks. If someone wants to stick with one task, I'm happy to allow
> them to do that as long as they know the rules for that specific field.
>
> I like the idea of splitting all the powers and grant specific powers
> depending on what the admin in question wants to do.

That's very appealing. I know developer time is always a concern, but
going from one bit to a few bits could be a pretty modest change. And
that might make the RfA process less about whether the applicant is a
tree among shrubs and more about their fitness for some particular purpose.

> I do wonder what to do
> about newbies who are told to contact an administrator about an issue. How
> are they supposed to know if a certain admin can help them?

Would that matter much? Assuming they have found an admin directly and
semi-randomly rather than going through the various filters and funnels
in places like [[WP:AN]], then I'd expect the task-specific admin still
would know where to send the newbie. Especially if the "welcome, new
admin" guide had ways for these limited admins to get help themselves.

William