[WikiEN-l] Requirements for Adminship

MacGyverMagic/Mgm macgyvermagic at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 19:54:03 UTC 2007

On 2/16/07, Timwi <timwi at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> sorry for jumping into this thread without reading the other responses
> first, but here's mine... :-)
>
> Keitei wrote:
> > Admins must:
> >       be neutral, above all else.
>
> This is already wrong. An admin who does not do any blocking, protecting
> or deleting, is by definition harmless, but they need not be neutral (in
> what they secretly believe would deserve deletion or protection). You
> would be denying adminship to such a person even though it would not
> cause any harm, therefore you are turning adminship into the "big deal"
> again that we are trying hard not to make it.

No one can be entirely neutral, but admins should act neutral and either
enact the beliefs of the community at large (or policy in case the community
ignores policy without a good reason). Acting neutral doesn't mean an admin
can't have a POV.

> Therefore, admin candidates must:
> >       demonstrate they can [...]
>
> This is clearly wrong. What you are saying is that someone who cannot
> demonstrate that they would be a good admin before they're actually an
> admin, can't become admin. Catch-22!

You don't need to be an admin to prove you'd be a good one. If you edit well
as a regular editor, people have plenty to look at to see if a candidate is
reliable.