[WikiEN-l] Kris Straub PWNZed Wikipedia

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 16 10:52:08 UTC 2007

SonOfYoungwood at aol.com wrote:
> I think it proves that certain factions or editors are becoming too
> deletionist.

And how. Just a few days ago someone posted on the talk page of a
webcomic's article that they were interested in doing some cleanup work
on it, including splitting a section on some characters out of the main
article, but they were concerned that it would draw the attention of AfD
and get both the character article and the main article deleted. I was
initially quite annoyed that it has come to this, with editors becoming
hesitant to _make improvements_ for fear of being noticed, but after
checking out the current kerfuffle over webcomics I grudgingly agreed
that the split attempt should be put off for now in favor of a more
careful incremental approach. Some excessive details started getting
trimmed, some references started getting added.

Today I find the article posted on AfD anyway. It's a five-year-old
Keenspot comic that's had two books published and currently ranks #11
out of the 1796 webcomics rated by topwebcomics.com. By the Alexa
rankings it's got about half the readership of Sluggy Freelance. It was
described by the nominator as "yet another non-notable web comic, whose
notability, influence, and appeal seems very limited."

If the article had been just about the printed paper books would this
have ever even been an issue?