[WikiEN-l] Deletions - do we cut a bit of slack for the Third World

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 02:40:11 UTC 2007

> On 2/15/07, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at waterwiki.info> wrote:
>
> > Common sense would counsel cutting some slack. We do for [[Citizendium]] (And >[[Wikinfo]].
> >

> Given the various hoaxes we've relating to that area of the world
> basic credibility requires otherwise.

This is all the more reason why Wikipedia should hold onto the
snippets of data that can be roughly verified.  Providing articles for
the limited infrastructure in third world countries promotes a clearer
picture of the country so that tourists and/or investors can better
judge what is realistic, as opposed to having to rely on opinions that
may be commercially tainted.  Careful monitoring can ensure that
outrageous claims are not made on the article so that it gravitates
towards a well sourced article over time.

--
John