[WikiEN-l] corporate "problems with articles" seems to be working a bit

Gregory Kohs thekohser at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 16:21:06 UTC 2007

David Gerard said:

++++++++++++++++
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:17:36 +0000
From: "David Gerard" <dgerard at gmail.com>
Subject: [WikiEN-l] corporate "problems with articles" seems to be
       working a       bit

The "problem with your article?" page for en:wp is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Contact_us/Article_problem/Factual_error_%28from_enterprise%29

It directs people to either the Help Desk or to OTRS. The Help Desk
appears to be getting a few reasonable queries from organisations,
which are being dealt with properly.

No flood of crap yet, which is good :-)

OTRS volunteers - how's it looking from your side?

- d.
++++++++++++++++

My experience with it has not been so impressive, and I've e-mailed David
Gerard about this privately, and I didn't receive a response back from him,
so I don't know why he's saying things are being "dealt with properly".  I
will assume good faith.

I submitted through "Factual error from enterprise" form what I thought was
a reasonable request for remedy, on January 30th. Having not heard back from
them by February 8th, I sent a follow-up e-mail asking if I should expect a
response, or whether my query had fallen through the cracks.  The rather
frazzled response from "Wesley Northrup" came to me a few hours later:
>>   Dear Gregory Kohs,

>>   Thank you for your mail. You said: "Should I expect that the info-en-q
team
will be responding to me directly in any way?"

>>   Do you have any idea how clogged our mail queue is? We're doing the
best we
can.

- - - -

 I think you can see the inherent problem of Wikipedia handling corporate
concerns of libel this way -- 10 days is a little long for a concerned party
to wait for any reply, and even then, only after a second query had to be
sent.  Now it is February 15th (two and a half weeks from the first
missive), and I have still not received any meaningful response, other than
the information that the OTRS mail queue is "clogged".

I don't mean to be a wet blanket -- I'm actually glad that Wikipedia is
seeking to take some of the "corporate concerns" issues out of the hands of
Jimbo and Brad (I feel that they are too busy, and rightly so, with more
important operational matters), and letting some of the esteemed volunteers
process these concerns is likely to result in more cooperative outcomes.
But, to me, it looks like my concern is not being "dealt with properly", as
Gerard would suggest.

Kindly,

   Greg

--