[WikiEN-l] Admins and elitism

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Feb 15 08:43:02 UTC 2007

Jeff Raymond wrote:

>Rich Holton wrote:
>

>>Given the recent discussions on this list, and the continuing increase
>>in de-facto requirements for new admins, I have to wonder if we are not
>>now well on the way to the creation of an elite class on Wikipedia.
>>
>>It appears to me that the vocal representatives of the current crop of
>>admins (meaning those who have become admins within the last year or so)
>>  have left far behind the idea that being an admin is "no big deal".
>>They see being an admin as a big deal, and want things to remain that way.
>>

>You're not wrong, and I'm of the opinion that we are in a situation where
>we have an elite class already.  The problem is twofold:
>
>1) Adminship *is* a big deal, whether we want it to be or not.  We trust
>them to do too much, expect a lot of them, and it's very difficult to
>remove or sanction an administrator who acts inappropriately.
>
>2) More importantly, adminship is viewed as a reward rather than a
>responsibility, thus creating a protector group of admins.  There's one
>recently-promoted admin in particular who embodies this concept, but there
>are many like him.

Yes and yes.

>>Perhaps the solution will require a complete re-thinking of how "special
>>rights" are allocated on Wikipedia, or even a complete re-thinking of
>>how vandalism is handled. But unless those involved are willing to
>>perceive the problem, and willing to engage the problem, nothing will
>>happen towards solving the problem.
>>

>It has to, and you're absolutely right.  Judging by the current RfA crop,
>it doesn't appear to be changing either - one person I'm very
>uncomfortable with but can't figure out why is sailing through, and one
>person who really should be given the bit is being opposed for even
>sillier reasons than some of the opposes on mine.
>
>The Foundation is unlikely to get involved, and Jimbo really should, but
>won't.  I wish there was a better answer.

If Jimbo has to step in to solve this problem we have failed.  What it
takes is a person with the power to act to take _bold_ action and start
appointing admins according to more liberal and sensible criteria.
Those of us who have been here a long time need to be ready to support
him during the inevitable storm that follows.  Just talking about this
problem will solve nothing.

Ec