[WikiEN-l] Admins and elitism

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Feb 15 08:33:28 UTC 2007

Rich Holton wrote:

>Given the recent discussions on this list, and the continuing increase
>in de-facto requirements for new admins, I have to wonder if we are not
>now well on the way to the creation of an elite class on Wikipedia.

Nah!  It's more like the time of the French Revolution when all citizens
were equal but some were more equal than others.

>It appears to me that the vocal representatives of the current crop of
>admins (meaning those who have become admins within the last year or so)
>  have left far behind the idea that being an admin is "no big deal".
>They see being an admin as a big deal, and want things to remain that way.

It's called self-interest.

>Of course, the admins point to the very real challenges that vandals
>pose as the reason for the rigor of the application process. They reject
>any proposal that might place Wikipedia is peril.

Right!  The right to bear arms is justified because it keeps America
safe from being overrun by elephants.

>Perhaps they're right. I'm certain that they truly want what it best for
>Wikipedia.

As the saying goes: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Ec