[WikiEN-l] Your comments on wikien-l regarding adminship

Luna lunasantin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 20:03:08 UTC 2007

On 2/14/07, Timwi <timwi at gmx.net> wrote:

> There is no reason to
> believe that Wikipedia has now reached a perfect state and requires no
> further changes to the way it works.

True, but that doesn't even come close to implying that this particular
crazy idea should be implemented. I concur completely with the need for
*some* users with a higher access level. I can revert, warn, block, and
clean up after a dozen vandals in an hour, but suppose just one of them
suddenly has admin capabilities and blocks me? What's the line of defense,
then? What's the line of defense when somebody lines up 20-30 admin socks,
blocking and desysopping everyone in sight, resysopping each other and
retaliating when anyone tries to stop them? You would need -- literally
*need* -- somebody with a higher access level. Whether that implies adding
more bcrats, a level between admin and bcrat, I don't know, but unless and
until you add that provision, this sounds mostly like a suicide pact.

Which isn't to say that I don't appreciate the discussion. Ideas are
valuable, especially the original ones.

-Luna