[WikiEN-l] Unneeded disambiguation

Bogdan Giusca liste at dapyx.com
Tue Feb 13 22:49:30 UTC 2007

I noticed that on some pages with very clear titles we can find
disambiguation notices, like these ones:

<<
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beagle_(software)
"This article is about software. For other uses, see Beagle (disambiguation)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vis_(island)
"This is an article about island named Vis. For the town with the same name, see Vis_(town)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrel_(unit)
"See Barrel (disambiguation) for other uses."

The point of disambiguation notices is to resolve conflicts when the
title is shared by more than one meaning.

But the title "Beagle (software)" is not at all ambiguous! From the
title anyone can tell it's about a piece of software not a dog or a ship.
The same with "Vis (island)", "Barrel (unit)" and thousands of other
articles.

Then why do we have them?