[WikiEN-l] - category clutter on biographical articles

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue Feb 13 21:08:53 UTC 2007

"Cool Cat" wrote

> You are missing the point and issue. Are you suggesting that we should
> continue the way we are doing things right now? What is your standpoint, I
> do not understand at all. If you have a better idea to deal with the problem
> feel free to propose it, please do not ask us to continue the non-working
> system as already demonstrated.

You are projecting some sort of false dichotomy here. If the issue is newbies creating unsuitable categories, there are certainly solutions that fall short of proposals that every category creation has to go through some process/discussion. For example, you could theoretically say that you have to edit for a month before starting on creating new categories.

The idea that all editors, however experienced, competent, informed and responsible, should be penalised by a bureaucratic ruleset, because you detect some issues (which may not actually be very new), is not likely to gain general support, is it? The formation of policy is supposed to help the project; not to solve management issues in a heavy-handed way.

I think people in touch with the realities of editing at WP understand when it is you need to discuss stuff, and when you just go ahead. That has always been one of the salient points. Perhaps someone should put a post-it note on WP:BOLD saying 'still relevant in 2007'.

Charles