[WikiEN-l] - category clutter on biographical articles

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue Feb 13 19:53:26 UTC 2007

"Cool Cat" wrote

> You should be seeking consensus. Waiting a day or week to determine the best
> way to categorize will save you and everyone else significant amount of
> time. Are you 100% certain that the mathematics categories are the most
> effective to navigate the articles?

Bad argument. I'm not 100% certain. I know enough about it, though, and enough about Wikipedia in general, and enough about how to deal with issues that may arise. Timidity in the face of a pile of grunt work to do has never been the WP way.

> Categorization should not be rushed. Approval is not the case. See how stub
> template proposals are handled at wikiproject:stubs

The fact that particular areas deserve close attention, to prevent avoidable annoyance, is not a general argument. Evolving fine-tuned sets of rules is sometimes a solution, but arguably sometimes part of the problem. This type of discussion (why don't we micromanage everything with a rulebook and experts?) constantly recurs in different forms.

Charles