[WikiEN-l] - category clutter on biographical articles

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue Feb 13 18:59:32 UTC 2007

"Cool Cat" wrote

> The wiki way is consensus. Being bold is fine. Anyone can boldly suggests a
> new categorization scheme.
>
> There needs to be a way to regulate bold decisions that affects tens to
> hundreds of articles. If you have a better suggestion feel free to suggest
> it.

There doesn't 'need to be' that. I have gone into mathematics categories with a couple of hundred articles and subdivided them on the fly. This has improved the encyclopedia, and if I had had to await some sort of approval (from whom?) I would not have bothered.

The wiki way is certainly not bound by pre-arranged consensus; much more characteristic of good Wikipedians is how they react to those who find fault with what they do (namely, to take it well).