[WikiEN-l] Deleting orphaned unfree images

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Feb 13 09:28:47 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:

>>I was thinking your motivation was to reduce some real-world harm. E.g.,
>>images sitting for a week causes difficulty X to person Y. I gather
>>you're saying it's a more abstract thing, an aesthetic preference?
>>

>The real world harm is that of copyright violations. IANAL, so I don't
>know if it is actually illegal for us to have unfree images on the
>site for a week without them being fair use, but it has to be quite
>close to that fine line. Just because we can't technically be punished
>unless we refuse to remove it upon request doesn't make it legal for
>us to keep it there until that request is made (by my understanding of
>the law

You don't really "know" that it's illegal unless the owner has expressed
himself.  Even there that assumes that the claimant has a valid claim;
perhaps the image was not copyrightable in the first place.  Perhaps the
merger principle applies.  What Wikipedia allows as fair use is only a
fraction of what the law or the courts might allow as fair use.  As long
as we are in that very wide space between the two definitions of fair
use we are quite safe when we wait for a reasonable time.

>if I assault someone, I can't be punished unless they decide
>to press charges, them not pressing charges doesn't make my act legal,
>though).

Not correct.  If we are talking about criminal charges it is the state
that presses the charges.  If the assault took place when there was no
third party witness it would jusat be difficult to prove the case when
the victim does not testify.

Ec