[WikiEN-l] Your comments on wikien-l regarding adminship

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Mon Feb 12 23:09:17 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:
>>Everyone thought that about editing too, until Wikipedia proved everyone
>>wrong.
>
> Wikipedia didn't prove them wrong by showing that vandalism doesn't
> happen, it proved them wrong by showing that vandalism can be dealt
> with.

Yes, exactly.

> The way we deal with it involves having some people with more
> power than the vandals.

This is wrong. Wikipedia was working right from the start, even before
adminship existed.

> You can move the goalposts wherever you like, you still end up
> needing some people with more power than the vandals.

You're also forgetting that Wikipedia is not the only wiki, and that
MediaWiki is not the only wiki engine. Most other wiki engines do not
have an "admin" user level at all, and last I checked the Pattern
Repository was still working just fine.

Timwi