[WikiEN-l] Admin burnout

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 14:21:13 UTC 2007

> So, shall we remove the admin bit from anyone who admits to knowing how
> to cause such damage? Or shall we immediately take steps to make it so
> such damage is impossible?

You're misunderstanding the nature of risk. Our aim is not to remove
all risk, that's impossible. Our aim is to reduce risk to the minimum
possible while stilling being able to make our encyclopaedia as well
as possible. Talking about the level of risk of a certain thing is
meaningless, you have to take about the level of risk compared to the
gain from it. The gain from 1000 admins is enormous compared to the
risk of 1000 admins. The gain from 10000 admins is much small compared
to the risk of 10000 admins. In my opinion, and apparently in the
majority opinion, that gain is not worth the risk.