[WikiEN-l] Admin burnout

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 14:18:05 UTC 2007

> When I left, the delay between me hitting the "save" button to post my
> de-adminship request on Meta and the sysop bit being removed was about
> 150 seconds. That included time spent indicating to the steward handling
> the request, via IRC, that I really did want to be de-adminned.
>
> So I fail to see where this inability to block comes in. That's a lot
> quicker than the response time for the average AIV request, for example.
> The stewards know what to do; in an emergency, they would be able to act
> just as fast, if not faster.

The reason Stewards respond so quickly is because they don't have very
much to do - everything is designed so that local admins and crats do
as much of the work as possible. If it became necessary to desysop
people much more often (as often as we currently block people, if the
most radical suggestion were to be implemented), meta's requests for
permissions page would become just like AIV. The solution would, of
course, be creating more stewards. Once we've done that, the problem
has just moved up a level.

Whatever you do, you have to have a small number of carefully selected
people with more power than everyone else. What level of power you
make the cutoff point is up to you, but you have to make it somewhere,
and wherever you make it, you'll get the same complaints we're getting
now about RfA. It's unfortunate that this is the case, but that's
life.