[WikiEN-l] Admin burnout

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 02:05:04 UTC 2007

On 2/11/07, Rich Holton <richholton at gmail.com> wrote:
> If there are things that admins can do NOW that could cause us to have
> to roll-back two weeks, then there is an immediate problem NOW,

Since most of the attacks use fundimental admin powers that have more
legit uses there isn't much to be done.

Rollback wouldn't be two weeks but to the last copy saved before the
attack began.

> not
> connected to any change in our selection procedure for admins. No
> selection procedure will be 99.98% effective, and the damage of
> attempting to achieve that is just too great.

Current system appears to be pretty close. depending on how you define
it iw has a rate of 100 or 99.91%.

> Sleepers are certainly possible through the current RfA process. You
> don't think someone determined enough to want to damage Wikipedia in the
> way you're describing couldn't jump through the RfA hoops?

I would be impressed if someone managed it.

> So, shall we remove the admin bit from anyone who admits to knowing how
> to cause such damage?

No we need people who know what can be done so they can spot and stop
it. Of course by then then it would likely be too late but it is
better than nothing

>Or shall we immediately take steps to make it so
> such damage is impossible?

For various reasons that would be rather tricky and the devs have
other priorities.

--
geni