[WikiEN-l] Admin burnout

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 00:42:17 UTC 2007

On 2/11/07, William Pietri <william at scissor.com> wrote:
> As to the first, that's why I said "almost", but I gather you mean that
> a rogue with the sysop bit can cause vastly more cleanup work than a
> regular editor. Is that right?

I can think of attack lines that would force a rollback the database
or weeks of cleanup.

They do exist.

> As to the second, isn't that a chicken and egg problem? All of those
> things evolved around having to deal with editorial vandalism. If you
> rule out any improvement that requires similar evolution, it seems like
> a generic argument for stasis. If the argument had been applied at the
> beginning, it would have ruled out open editability, period.
>
> If the problem is that the current structure hasn't evolved to deal with
> Y, where Y is a potential harm from an otherwise good X, then isn't the
> solution is to allow a controlled amount of X to allow the structure to
> evolve? Or at least to see if the cost of mediating Y ends up being
> under the benefit of X?
>
> William

You want to try dealing with vandels who you can't effectively block
and can hit every page one wikipedia? Admins are to a large extent our
solution to problem editing. The same solution won't work for problem
admins. You are free to suggest ways of dealing with that but remeber
they need to be >99.98% effective.

--
geni