[WikiEN-l] Admin burnout (deputy admins)

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 00:30:08 UTC 2007

> I think you got this backwards. If the RfA process is so strict and
> everyone then "trusts" the people who are made admins, surely that makes
> it much easier for those admins to wreak havoc (whether intentional or
> not). Surely *that* makes the whole project more unworkable.

When I say it's about trust, and not trustworthyness, that's because
most people that use Wikipedia *are* trustworthy, and aren't going to
wreak havoc. That is the premise to all these discussions about making
it easier to become an admin - that more people are trustworthy than
those than get through RfA. If that's not true, then RfA isn't broken,
and we have nothing to discuss.

I accept that making many more people admins would not result in many
wreaking havoc, however, it would result in an ungodly number of false
complaints about admins wreaking havoc. That is what I mean when I say
the community needs to trust admins.

> Adminship should not have anything to do with trust at all. Adminship
> should be synonymous with innocence. Not being allowed the admin tools
> should be a penalty, and a penalty should only be applied when someone
> does something wrong, no sooner.

If we were in Utopia, I would agree with you 100%, however, we are in
the real world, and we need to base our decisions on logic, not
ideology.