[WikiEN-l] Admin burnout

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 10 03:31:41 UTC 2007

Guettarda wrote:

> On 2/8/07, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> on 2/8/07 10:34 PM, Michael Snow at wikipedia at earthlink.net wrote:
>>
>> > We are supposed to be focusing on quality, not quantity, with
>> respect to
>> > the encyclopedia articles. It's high time we did the same for
>> > administrators.
>>
>> A resounding YES!
>>
>> Marc
>
> I'd have to say a resounding NO.  The article quality philosophy says
> that
> we have enough articles and we should put higher priority on improving
> the
> ones we have than adding new ones.  That philosophy isn't workable with
> admins.

Without the context provided by the remainder of my message, I'm afraid
you've misunderstood what I meant by this. I was addressing the way we
evaluate candidates for adminship, a bloated process that emphasizes
quantity (as in volume of activity) over quality.

I am more concerned that we have a process to choose quality
administrators, rather than invent a way to get large numbers of
mediocre-to-poor ones. The current system badly needs to be redesigned
to accomplish the former and avoid the latter. A natural byproduct of
this may well be that we get more administrators because the process is
not so tortuous.

--Michael Snow