[WikiEN-l] Admin burnout

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Fri Feb 9 19:13:44 UTC 2007

Keitei wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2007, at 9:42, geni wrote:
>
>>Editors are people. Being blocked hurts. Haveing your work deleted
>>hurts.
>
> Why does being blocked hurt? If a block is just what happens when you
> do such and such (like revert three times), why would that be a blow
> to the ego? You wait it out, you can edit again, no big deal.
> Ideally, you don't do anything which would lead to a block and
> nothing happens.

Being blocked hurts simply because it is a slap-in-your-face message
that someone doesn't like you, and uses force to keep you out of
somewhere. Many users get blocked but don't realise that they were
violating some policy. Many users appear to regard the conflicts they
get into as a mere disagreement with some opinion, and then if they get
blocked it easily seems like the person is using their power unfairly to
enforce their opinion and to suppress the user's. If you were a new user
and you were to get that impression, I'm quite sure you'd feel hurt.

Timwi