[WikiEN-l] Admin burnout

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Fri Feb 9 16:46:35 UTC 2007

Pilotguy wrote:

> Being an admin is not what it is made out to be. People think, once you are
> an admin, you get a big office on the top floor with a massage chair. This
> is not the case [...]. The situation is that we do something like
> clear out hundreds of pages in CAT:CSD, and instead of getting support and
> encouragement for doing a task that's a pain in the ass, we get yelled at by
> everyone. [...]

This is probably all true. But that's not the problem we're discussing.
You see, no matter how many people you tell this story, the majority of
new users will still view adminship as "having a big office on the top
floor with a massage chair". Why? Not because they've been there and
seen it or anything, but simply because people start out /without/ it
and, if accepted by the community, are elevated to this "higher status".
That is enough already to create this impression that admins are
(considered by the community to be) "better people".

Timwi