[WikiEN-l] Admin burnout

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 9 15:42:30 UTC 2007

geni wrote:
> On 2/9/07, Stan Shebs <stanshebs at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> I work on WP for a hour or so every day, and this is the first I've
>> heard of a "Bobby Boulders". Are you sure it was that big of a deal?
>>

> It resulted in the brief deletion of the counter vandalism unit see:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Miscellany_for_deletion/Wikipedia:Counter-Vandalism_Unit_%28third_nomination%29

Bleah. I couldn't even read the whole thing, it's so sordid and petty.
>> This whole overdramatization of admin activity is the root cause
>> underlying burnout, I'd say. All admin actions are reversible, so no
>> permanent damage is possible,
>>

> Editors are people. Being blocked hurts. Haveing your work deleted hurts.

There are many hurts in life. I know Mr. Linkspam-Cabo-every-day is
bummed that I revert him over and over, he's even said so, but his goal
is to make a buck no matter what it does to WP. I'm sure if he was
smarter, he could find editors to testify to the arbcom that I'm being a
mean and nasty admin by not reverting him with an individually-composed,
sensitive, and caring message each time, and should be desysopped as an
example to the others. So, are you on his side, or on mine?

If I'm not going to be supported by other editors, admin or not, then I
don't want to be an admin any longer.

Stan