[WikiEN-l] Admin burnout

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Fri Feb 9 12:11:52 UTC 2007

Joshua Brady wrote:

> >  * Wikipedia doubles every 6 months, we need an admin pool to
> compensate it, and we need those who will focus on handling admin
> issues, not waive the mop around for 2 months and discontinue use. So
> lets not look at a new admin based on his edit count, but his
> contributions and WILLINGNESS.

Here is this wrong sentiment again. Just because you need admins who
"will focus on handling admin issues", you are (incorrectly) concluding
that people who only "waive the mop around for 2 months and discontinue
use" are somehow worthless and therefore shouldn't be made admins. Even
if someone helps out with some admin tasks for only 2 months, surely
they're worth more than they would be if they couldn't do any of it
because they're denied access to the admin functions. You never know if
one of them stays on and becomes the focussed admin you need.

Timwi