[WikiEN-l] - category clutter on biographical articles

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 9 00:53:21 UTC 2007

Cool Cat wrote:
> So do you have a suggestion to tackle/quick attack the problem? CfD is a
> slow and inefficient procedure to get rid of nonsense. Too many
> panic/contradictory "Keep" votes just pile up in almost an instant.

How do you distinguish the "panic/contradictory" keeps from the
"reasoned/consistent" keeps?

If you really think a category should go, take the time to write a full
argument for it and don't worry so much if the CfD ends up going the
other way. There was once a category on Wikipedia that I felt was
deserving of deletion and I spent a lot of effort banging my head
against a wall on CfD trying to convince some "keep" voters of my
correctness, without success. But ultimately a year or so later, after
everyone had wandered off to other things, someone else came along and
CfDed it again and the category quietly passed away. If a category is
truly deserving of deletion then eventually it's going to happen. We're
not on a deadline.