[WikiEN-l] Expandable dablinks

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 23:12:53 UTC 2007

On 2/9/07, Rich Holton <richholton at gmail.com> wrote:
> What you've done is great. However, I did discover an issue (you may
> already be aware of this)...If the transcluded disambig page has
> sections, then those sections show up in the TOC of the transcluding page.
>
> No obvious solution comes to mind, short of eliminating sections from
> disambig pages.

I think it's fairly clear that we could not immediately take every
disambig page and just declare it suitable for transclusion at the top
of the relevant pages. Most will need minor reformatting, even if it's
just sticking <noinclude> around certain bits of text like section
headings and what-not.

As a slightly separate issue, more advanced transclusion methods would
certainly be beneficial, and I did raise a bugzilla bug over this
once. The ability to transclude text without categories was a key
issue, and references was another issue. To solve the
disambig-template issue, perhaps we would need to be able to mark a
template as only being transcludable for N levels (disambig page can
transclude {{disambig}}, but another page that transcludes the
disambig page doesn't transclude it), but that sounds really
complicated and confusing.

Steve