[WikiEN-l] Project as namespace

Matthew Brown morven at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 09:13:10 UTC 2007

On 2/6/07, stvrtg <stvrtg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Its not a matter of handicaps, its about facilitation of an annyoying
> problem of having two "wiki"s in the same title. The extra characters no doubt tax
> the servers.

So in other words - you find typing Wikipedia:WikiProject <xxx> a PITA
and want to type Wikiproject:<xxx>.  Not entirely an invalid point but
I don't think we create namespaces for the purposes of typing
convenience.  The content of WikiProjects is quite validly within the
definition of what the Wikipedia: namespace is supposed to be, so I
don't see an issue there.  We created Portal: because portals aren't
really part of the encyclopedia proper but are content for the users,
not for the project, so placing them in Wikipedia: didn't really work.
 We split Template: from MediaWiki: because templating is different
from interface string localization.

It sounds like what you really need are shortcut redirects or something.

-Matt