[WikiEN-l] Project as namespace

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 7 06:05:20 UTC 2007

stvrtg wrote:
> On 2/6/07, Rich Holton <richholton at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> But seriously, why?
>>

> [[Namespaces]], as any programmer can tell you, are a convenient and novel
> way to separate different kinds of data - to give indentify a kind of
> context for the data therin.

And many of those same programmers will tell you that in practice,
namespaces can generate their own nightmare of trying to figure out
which namespace things are in this week, and it's often the case that
the horrendous namespace structure was imposed by busybody
coding-standard-writers who don't actually make any useful contributions
to functionality. 1/2 :-)
> On WP, the general principle has been to keep the main free of metadata.
> Meta stuff
> traditionally belongs in the Wikipedia: namespace. I suggest the idea
> because
> using a separate project namespace might be a way to feature projects to
> emphasise
> the idea of getting used to joining and working within certain projects .

I work in several wikiprojects, and have yet to hear someone say - "you
know, we're really being handicapped by not having our own namespace".
Projects have plenty of content problems taking up their attention, they
don't need other people coming in and moving their pages around.

Stan