[WikiEN-l] WikiProjects overriding policy

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 14:50:57 UTC 2007

MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:

> [snip]
> The naming convention was created to avoid
> overly convoluted names. The places articles are located should be easy to
> link to.

The Naming Conventions are created to avoid endless move-wars between people
who favour one formulation over another. Copy & paste takes care of problems
to do with linking.

It just so happens that there is a strange wrinkle in the way that links are
processed which can be useful in this context; see here (it will open a
preview first that you might check I'm not linking you to the Last Resort
:-):
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2xxkd5
Check out the "link with leading pipe".

So to link from [[a (b)]] to [[c (b)]] placing the link [[|c]] in the former
during an edit will, at the moment, work just fine: it will automagically
expand to [[c (b)|c]] in just the same way as [[c (b)|]] would have expanded
to the same thing. I leave enumerating the advantages to the interested
student.

HTH HAND
--
Phil