[WikiEN-l] Freedom of Speech in WP

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Feb 1 01:18:08 UTC 2007

Marc Riddell wrote:

>on 1/31/07 7:39 AM, David Gerard at dgerard at gmail.com wrote:
>

>>Wikipedia is a working environment - a volunteer one (which has its
>>own social rules, of course), but nevertheless it's a project with a
>>particular purpose. I've seen how obnoxious editors scare off newbies,
>>and it's not nice at all and is actually damaging to the project.
>>
>>I think the basic rule, which I hold is the fundamental rule of all
>>social spaces, is "Don't be a dick." Every other social rule we have
>>is a special case of that.
>>

>Terrific! I much prefer the term "Don't be a dick" to "incivility"; can we
>make the change :-).

A significant minority finds the word "dick" offensive because of the
sexual overtones.

>Seriously, is there an attempt made by other, more seasoned editors, to give
>support to these newbies to assure them they are supported by the majority
>of the project?

I'm sure we all would when the direct opportunity arises, but it takes a
great deal of maturity and patience.  It takes honest recognition of the
difference between a newbie and a troublemaker.  The police mentality of
the vandal hunters and other recent change patrol tends to shoot first
and ask questions lateer.  I think that many of them attach great
importance to ridding us of a wide range of troublesome people, but
their tactics can be extreemely disconcerting for newbies who are really
trying to make an honest but awkward effort.

Ec