[WikiEN-l] Peodophiles and wikipedia

Ned Scott ned at nedscott.com
Tue Dec 25 21:29:40 UTC 2007

This discussion involves all of us. Your interpretation of "no pedo
userbox = never talk about the issue" is without weight. We do not
allow people to promote pedophilia, that is a separate issue than an
admin (yourself) inappropriately banning a user for their personal
beliefs. Just because it happens to be a related issue does not mean
you have the right to silence discussion in hopes of killing it. I'm
sorry that this specific issue deals with a topic no one wants to
touch with a 10 foot pole, but your paranoia that such a discussion is
harmful to Wikipedia, and can only be discussed with the arbcom is
absurd.

If it's talked about in the open, more people will see that you have
blocked someone for their personal beliefs, and not for their actions.
That is something that can and will eventually slide into other
issues, completely unrelated to pedophilia. Wikipedians, all
Wikipedians, have the fundamental right, given to them by Foundation
policy, to edit Wikipedia regardless of their personal beliefs. This
is an alarming issue that people should be very upset about. It's very
unfortunate that it happens to deal with an issue that causes people
to act out of emotion, rather than logic. For the sake of Wikipedia's
basic principals, do try to be objective.

-- Ned Scott