[WikiEN-l] COO story now in major media

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue Dec 25 14:11:04 UTC 2007

On Dec 24, 2007 8:27 PM, Tony Sidaway <tonysidaway at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/12/2007, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> > I wouldn't consider hit-and-runs etc. as meriting an article either,
> > that's why I said I wasn't sure there was *any* significant events. So
> > you're suggesting the "single event" is her being hired by the
> > foundation?
> >

> Yes, it's the only thing that might force us to catalog the appalling
> events of this person's life in an encyclopedia.  We're not Facebook.
> Being in Wikipedia can *hurt*, it can *kill*.

And so can *not* being in Wikipedia.

I'm sorry, the idea that Wikipedia shouldn't include information about
people convicted of serious crimes (*) because it might hurt their
feelings doesn't strike me as valid.  Unless, I guess, you're
suggesting that Wikipedia shouldn't have biographies about anyone at
all.

(*) Don't bring up some strawman about victimless or petty crimes.
We're talking about someone who recklessly caused the death of one
person and who intentionally shot another in the chest.