[WikiEN-l] COO story now in major media

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Fri Dec 21 21:55:59 UTC 2007

WP:BLP1E

There is no problem with covering the situation in appropriate places,
but normal consensus about BLP's is that we don't have articles about
people who have had some new coverage only due to a single negative
event.  It may seem like Wikipedia is the center of the universe, but it
actually isn't. :)

Random sample found by searching in google for "coo scandal":
http://www.cfo.com/article.cfm/7813032

A brief search of Wikipedia shows that in this case of a fraud alleged
by the SEC to have involved $8.2 million profit to the CFO and COO of
this company, we have nothing on either person, nor on the company, nor
on the scandal.

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13555_1-9805001-34.html

This story talks about the same event as a $200 million fraud.  The CEO,
about whom we do not have an article, is charged.

I am not arguing that we should or should not have an article on this
other case (but please let's not have my use of this example trigger an
idiotic war about it!).

I am just arguing that there is absolutely no way in hell we would have
an article in the case of Carolyn Doran, were it not for Wikipedia
navel-gazing.  There was no fraud (that we know of), nothing bad
happened to us (that we know of), it is just an embarassment and for
this poor woman, her rather sad life story is now in the Associated
Press.  But this whole thing is still amply covered by BLP1E and
non-Wikipedia precedent and tradition.