[WikiEN-l] Threats made on Wikipedia

Jonathan Thornton jonathan.b.thornton at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 17:32:24 UTC 2007

Rjd0060 - wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:AN#School_Threat
>
> Am I really the only one that thinks there should be a *crystal clear policy
> * relating to threats?  Every time something like this happens, there is big
> discussion on what *should* happen.  There is a reference as  to what to do
> with suicide threats:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Potentially_suicidal_users.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Potentially_suicidal_users>
>
> I think Jimbo himself has made it clear on several occasions that we should
> take these things seriously.  Instead, whenever these are brought to AN /
> ANI, some people take it upon themselves to declare these as pranks, or
> jokes.  Is that really appropriate?

I agree. If users say they will commit suicide as a joke, I believe that
the user should be blocked indefinitely as with policy. These are
supposed to be taken seriously, and I think it still should, even if it
was a joke. I even think that there should be a more serious offense,
such as a permanent ban on the user. Wikipedia can have some humor, but
suicide humor just isn't funny. At all.

Jonathan