[WikiEN-l] WP:EPISODE

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 21 05:28:43 UTC 2007

Nathan Awrich wrote:
> I think there is a specific standard for the notability of fiction for
> good reason. I'm not sure that having been seen by millions of glazer
> over eyeballs is necessarily enough for something to be notable

Excuse me, but "glazed-over eyeballs?" These are our readers and our
editors we're talking about. Please refrain from dismissing their
interests as unimportant because you don't share them. It would be just
as inappropriate to refer to the authors and users of our sports-related
articles as "overmuscled jocks", or our politician-related articles as
"politics weenies", or whatever other derogatory characterization one
might come up with.

If you don't find a subject area interesting to you, just _leave it alone_.

> - it
> may be, but I would argue that there have been tons of episodes of
> tons of TV shows and in 5 years no one will remember 99 percent of
> them, let alone cite them for anything. Additionally, they present
> clear RS problems - how often do reliable sources publish a treatment
> of a Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode?

I expect every one of them has a DVD with a commentary track available,
for starters. A quick Google search also turns up
<http://www.tv.com/buffy-the-vampire-slayer/show/10/summary.html>,
<http://www.buffyguide.com/>, <http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/buffy/>,
<http://www.buffyworld.com/>, and <http://chosentwo.com/buffy/> on the
first page of results. Some of these may not be as useful as others but
I have a hard time believing that _none_ of them are reliable sources.

Unless you meant perhaps peer-reviewed journal articles?

> I wouldn't go undeleting them
> unless you first get approval on policy changes. I'm sure the
> fan-types will support you, but the community in general seems to be
> leaning away from your position.

That doesn't seem to be the case over on the talk page of WP:EPISODE. So
if the community in general hasn't approving of the guideline that was
used as justification for deleting them, they can be deleted, but they
can't be undeleted until everyone agrees? Double standard, no thanks.
The "default" position should be to refrain from deleting when in doubt.